Data Collection and Digital Forensics
Data is everywhere. Americans use their smartphone multiple times per hour, our cars are guided by GPS, and we collaborate globally via the cloud. Computers have become integral to our lives, creating opportunities for advancement as well as exposing new avenues for wrong doing. Each device we use is a piece of a larger puzzle, and digital forensics can put it all together.
Forensics is more than just the recovery of deleted files. It can reveal patterns of communication, prove location and timing, and identify evidence of data exfiltration. It can build a timeline of activity that can have a huge impact on the outcome of your matter. Without all the pieces of the puzzle, you won’t have a complete picture.
Digital Strata are experts in the collection and analysis of all kinds of data. We’ve assisted our clients in identifying a wide variety of inappropriate conduct including fraud and embezzlement, texting/distracted driving, and intellectual property theft. Data forensics is no longer a luxury – it is integral to solving the puzzle. Digital Strata will help you put the pieces together.
As the number and variety of devices grow, the complexity of data collection grows enormously. Even the types of data are growing, adding yet another piece to this puzzle. And how this data are treated, sorted, stored, and tracked can have a huge impact on the outcome of your matter. We are experts in collecting data—of any type.
- Platform & data-type agnostic
- Custodial and non-custodial data sources
- Database, web, wiki, social media, structured & unstructured data
- Onsite, remote & targeted collections
- Computers, servers, smartphones, tablets & USB devices
- Evidence management including chain of custody, secure storage and matter-end destruction
We offer a wide variety of forensic services covering a wide range of digital devices including Windows and Mac computers and servers, smartphones, tablets, USB devices and the cloud:
- Forensically-sound content and metadata preservation
- Deleted data identification and recovery
- Windows registry, artifact and log file analysis
- Cloud (DropBox, Box, Google Drive, iCloud, etc.) activity
- Analysis of calls, chats, web histories and log files
- Password and encryption cracking
Smartphones and Social Media
In today’s connected environment, more and more data is created on smartphones and other devices. Cell phones, social media and telematics have become a treasure trove of data that tells the story of day-to-day life. The facts around sexual harassment, fraud, accidents and more can often be unraveled from this type of data.
We can acquire and analyze a variety of data found on iOS and Android mobile phone and tablet devices including:
- MMS and SMS text messages
- Browser history
- Call logs (phones only)
- Deleted files and file fragments
GPS data extracted from devices and applications
- Mapping apps
- Photo and video locations
Social media applications including